1 South Potomac Street, Hagerstown, MD 21740
October 12, 2020
The Neikirk Company is Celebrating 75 Years of Business
The Neikirk Company has two exciting announcements to make. They have moved to their new location at 17143 Virginia Ave, Hagerstown, MD and they are celebrating 75 years of continuous business, involving three generations of Neikirks.
To celebrate their move and their 75 years in business, they are holding a private ribbon cutting ceremony on October 22 at 4 pm in conjunction with the Washington County Chamber of Commerce.
On October 23 and 24, they will have an open house for the public to tour their new facility from 9 am – 5 pm. During the open house, they will have a large amount of surplus inventory for sale outdoors at yard-sale bargain prices starting at $5, including window treatments and other accessories. The net proceeds of the sale will be donated to The Boys and Girls Club of Washington County. Face masks are required and tables will be distanced to accommodate social distancing.
The Neikirk Company opened in 1945 in downtown Hagerstown as “J. Ralph Fiery Wallpaper and Window Shades.” William (Buzz) Neikirk was the first employee of the business. In 1962, he purchased the business from Mr. Fiery and it became known as “William M. Neikirk, Inc.”
Jamie Neikirk purchased the business from his father, Buzz, in 1984. He expanded their offerings to become a complete decorating center and the business started trading as “Neikirk’s of Hagerstown.” In 2006, the business partnered with Space Crafter’s Inc. to add custom closet systems to their product mix.
They sold the building on Franklin Street in downtown Hagerstown and moved to the Bowman Business Park in Williamsport, MD. In 2008, Justin Neikirk joined his father Jamie in the business, and they bought out Space Crafters Inc., which they started operating as “The Neikirk Company.” They now specialize in only window treatments and closet systems. They continue to pride themselves in quality products and excellent service, as they have since 1945.
Needing room for expansion, they purchased the building at 17143 Virginia Ave in December of 2019 and began a total renovation. The renovations were completed in August of 2020. They now have 7,700 square feet as opposed to 4,500 square feet. This has allowed them to build a large showroom where they can display over 35 different types of blinds, shades and shutters as well as showcase the many designs and settings of their closet systems.
Included in the renovation was a fabrication room where they manufacture their own line of roller shades. They also have a warehouse and wood shop for the production of their closet systems. The new building also includes three offices, a kitchen and two restrooms.
Brianna Scott, Director of Member Services and Marketing